I submitted by Week 1 BTFC update this morning.
I also went lifting this morning and it was kind of a mixed bag.
- I got to lift with a friend of mine who is back from England, which was a BIG FREAKIN’ DEAL for me. She is the person who got me started on lifting and has been a huge pillar of support for me during my weight-loss journey, but she had never seen me lift. It was exciting. Considering we were the only two women in the weight section the entire time we were there, I was so happy to have her along.
- I did manage a 210lbs x 1 squat which means I haven’t lost any strength this week.
- I managed to go swimming last night and my breathing and kicking have both improved significantly this week. I’m considering doing 0to1650 just to get on a program.
- It’s the weekend and I’ve already got my lifting in, so I can focus on resting up.
- I lost 6lbs in my first week of BTFC. I don’t think I’ve ever lost 6lbs in a week. Granted some of it was water weight & bloat, but I feel like I have some good initial momentum going.
- I went to yoga last night. I had never been to a soma yoga class before, but I miss having mandatory relaxation time and I feel like I need some forced mobility work. There was a lot of Snap, Crackle, Pop going on and my hip flexors felt much better when squatting today. The best part is that no one tried to tell me that I was anchoring my inner life force at the base of my spine, which is the new age bullshit that I was being sold at the last yoga class I registered for. They still offer insightful tips on my facebook feed, like this one which popped up this morning:
I feel like treating my health like any of my academic endeavors has been one of the biggest keys to my success in the past year, so I try to follow sound science where possible.
- I went to bed with some chest congestion last night and it seems to be lingering around this morning. I don’t want to get sick when I need to start my meet prep this week. And I’m blaming swimming because the chemist in me shudders at the thought of everything that’s floating around in the pool.
- I’m feeling a little bit tired this week, which I expected. It was my first week back at school full-time, and I’m still working at my job 22 hrs/week. I had some long days, especially when you throw the gym in there in the evening.
- I always find working out in the morning to be a struggle. Even after some BCAAs and a cup of coffee, I still felt off at the gym and my 185 worksets were not happening. I’m not going to get upset over a bad day.
- I think I might have loosened myself up too much at yoga. Stretching does not build strength.
- I still feel beat after swimming. I only swam for about 20 minutes yesterday and that was more than enough. I feel like it’s going to take me a long time to build up any sort of endurance.
- I meant to record some overhead pressing at the gym today, but I forgot my camera.
- I also forgot to bring shorts to the gym, and I ended up running home in dress pants and flip flops to grab a pair. My head really was not in the game today.
- I need to go for a run today. The Army Run 5K is next weekend and I still haven’t attempted the course.